Are you ready for marriage? Is it right for you? Do you know everything you need to know about your partner before you walk down the aisle with him or her?
As a California family law & divorce attorney, I frequently discover that the answer to these questions is a resounding, “NO.” Unfortunately, far too many couples don’t discover that this is the answer until sometime after the marriage begins to fail.
Of all places, Oprah.com publishes an online relationships column that asks the following questions of those who are considering tying the knot:
1) Why are you getting married?
2) Do you know and trust your partner’s personal history?
3) Did you plan your marriage, instead of just your wedding?
4) Are you investing more than you can afford to lose?
5) Have you identified and communicated your needs and expectations?
For those of you who chuckle because it comes from Oprah, I’d suggest you look at these questions and seriously consider them before you make the commitment to share your life, for better or for worse, with your significant other. Trust me, if you’re coming to me down the road, it most certainly was because your marriage was “for worse.”
For more information about California family law issues, please contactattorney Gary D. Sparks.